Training camp starts this Monday at the Marie-Victorin Sports complex. It's Year 3 for the Montreal Impact in Major League Soccer and it's an important year for the club. If time was a road, Year 3 is definitely a cross-road for the club as it tries to continue building while integrating its third head coach in three years.
While in Montreal, Frank Klopas and his staff will start to build the foundations of the 2014 while taking advantage of the positive aspects of 2013. With little changes to the squad, questions and talking points will need to be asked , presented and maybe even resolved by the end of training camp.
- Formations are only as good (or bad) as the players you have and their respective roles. Patrice Bernier joined the guys at Soccer Sans Frontieres ( I am one of them :-) ) and shared his views on the different formations used in 2013.
What will be Frank Klopas' favorite formation? With the Chicago Fire, Klopas seemed to prefer the 4-2-3-1 with a strong tendency to attack down the wings.
- Who will help Marco Di Vaio score some goals? Di Vaio might score 15+ goals in 2014 but the Impact need more goal scoring threats. Whether it's a striker or an offensive midfielder, someone needs to step up and diversify the Impact's scoring portfolio.
- if Option #1 is going through the middle and Option #2 is give it to Justin Mapp,what will be Options #3, #4 and dare we ask #5 ?
- So we know that Patrice Bernier and Hernan Bernardello will pass the ball through the middle. Justin Mapp will take care of the right side and Di Vaio will #DiVaye when he gets around the box.
- If healthy and fit, Nelson Rivas might just be a starter. Do you really take the risk of building the defense around him? The question stands whether he is a starter or a depth player
- Will the Academy graduates see more playing time? Let's make the question even broader, will the younger players play more, whether they are HGP or NCAA MLS Drafted players? Though Sanna Nyassi and Andres Romero are both 24-year old.
- Will there be any trialists that will join the club at Marie-Victorin as of Monday? What surprises are Nick De Santis, Matt Jordan and Frank Klopas working on?
- Insert your own talking point, questions and interrogations.This is your forum, your canvas!