Soccer Value or not, Fun or Not, the 2013 MLS All Star-Game is coming and with it a Serie A team : AS Roma. It's the first time that a Serie A team comes to play a friendly against any MLS side, including a MLS All-Star team. It's also the chance to look at a new squad with some older names and youngers one , led by a new head coach Rudi Garcia.
Troy Perkins is not an anomaly to be among the best goalkeepers in MLS since joining the Montreal Impact. And the logical connection of having the Montreal Impact's Italian stars in the All-Star Game is obvious for many reasons.
- Marco Di Vaio is a romanista (from Rome) and started his career with AS Roma's arch-rival, S.S. Lazio. He is the most dangerous striker in MLS at the tender age of 37.
- Matteo Ferrari played four years as an AS Roma defender and is proving to be one of the most constant MLS defenders in 2013.
- Troy Perkins is one of the main reasons why the Impact has had so much success. He is the starting point of the spine of the club.
- Patrice Bernier: I really thought that it was obvious that Bernier is one of the best CMF of the league and has proven it in less than 2 seasons. Playing in Scandinavia is not that bad of a thing.
- For the same reasons as Di Vaio, Alessandro Nesta is a romanista and ex-S.S. Lazio player, adding more of a punch line to the game against AS Roma. Did I mention that he is the best defender of his generation? He is not the fittest but just having him for the event and play a few minutes against Francesco Totti is reason enough to have him in.
With just one week remaining in fan voting for the 2013 AT&T MLS All-Star Game, the combined online and text results as of June 24th 2013:
Fans have until Monday at noon to vote and can do so online or by sending a player's last name via text message to 22442. Do the right thing and vote.