Welcome to the latest installment of "Gio’s Random Thoughts". Every week, I will unleash some observations about what the Impact and the MLS. Some good, some bad, some ugly.
* Writing my random thoughts while watching the Milan-Sampdoria game. Still can’t believe we have Alessandro Nesta on our team (As a Juventino, I must say the following... Judging by who is replacing him in Milan, Milanisti can’t believe they let him go!)
* How comforting is it to have a keeper like Troy Perkins playing behind our defense? He makes a lot of saves that ‘he who must no longer be named’ wouldn’t make.
* Do you think that Troy Perkins is having fun now? Must be on a high to come in to this team, start winning all while becoming a key piece to the squad.
* In my last ‘Random Thoughts’, I mentioned that Patrice Bernier had no left foot. Of course, the following game he goes and scores one left footed.
* Patrice, if you are reading this, did you score that to prove me wrong? Was I your inspiration? Should I consider that you scored that goal for me?
* Lamar Neagle deserves to be in the starting XI. Period.
* Although we’ll take the goal, you have to admit that it was a weak call to award the PK to Montreal. It was a clean play.
* The Montreal Impact are the best Canadian Soccer team. Period. Where are the Whitecaps and TFC fans now? Where is that world class cockiness you guys had at the beginning of the year?
* I love cocky fans of an unproven team at the beginning of a season. All high and mighty but then they are quieter than a mouse when things go bad.
* I understand that DCU was playing their 3rd game in their sequence of 5 games in 14 days but to not have Chris Pontius and Dwayne De Rosario in the starting lineup was just ridiculous.
* If I were DeRo, I would have ripped my coach a new one after the game.
* Am I the only one who thinks that DeRo complained way too much during the game? I mean, he cried more to the refs than a room full of 18 year old heartbroken girls watching the Notebook.
* Only 7 points separate the Impact from first place. Sure, the other teams have played a couple of extra games but anything is possible. KC is in first place and they have one game left against us at Stade Saputo.
* Nelson Rivas will be back from suspension next game. Can we see a modified 3-5-2? I hope so. How about this:
Alessandro Nesta – Nelson Rivas – Matteo Ferrari
Patrice Bernier – Collen Warner
Davy Arnaud - Jeb Brovsky
Marco Di Vaio – Andrew Wenger
* After yesterday’s game, starting to hear more and more people talk about how Patrice Bernier should be captain. Really? REALLY?? The team is having a great expansion year, is fighting for the playoffs and some want to cause problems again?
* I love Bernier but to question Davy Arnaud’s leadership during this initial season is an insult to him, Jesse Marsch, Nick De Santis, Joey Saputo and the entire organisation.
* I’m also hearing the ‘what ifs’... What if we didn’t have Justin Braun at the beginning of the year? What if we didn’t have Donovan Ricketts?
* Jesse Marsch recently said ‘sometimes you need to stay out of the way of the team’. Let them play and enjoy their success. Maybe it’s time the haters do the same thing. Let the Impact enjoy their moment.
* This fan base needs to be happy that Joey Saputo and Nick De Santis are working nonstop to make this team better. Why don’t you ask the fans in Toronto, New England and Portland (especially after the Perkins-Ricketts trade) if we should be complaining?
* New England vs. Columbus: Revs were up 2-0, then were 3-2, they tied the game and still managed to lose 4-3. Can’t anyone help out the Impact.
* In Italy, that kind of result would immediately be linked to a betting scandal (no, I’m not suggesting anything, just pointing out the farce that it the Italian justice system).
* Holy cow TFC did something positive and tied Houston!!
* Anyone who blames TFC’s crap season on the loss of Danny Koevermans’ is only kidding themselves. TFCmerda sucked long before he came to town!
* TFC should just close their doors.
Until next time, FORZA IMPACT!!