Welcome to the latest installment of "Gio’s Random Thoughts". Every week, I will unleash some observations about what the Impact and the MLS. Some good, some bad, some ugly.
* Many have doubted him. Many think he’s hard headed. The fact remains, Jesse Marsch deserves the respect of the fans. 8 wins in 24 games. Better records than TFC and Vancouver in their expansion years. How about we give the guy a break? He’s doing a good job! How’s about some of you stop calling for his head?
* I love Marsch’s passion. He will defend his players to the death. Who wouldn’t want to play for this guy?
* The Impact will be in the hunt for the playoffs until the end of the season. Buckle your seatbelts, it’s going to be a great ride.
* To the Marco Di Vaio haters... where you at? My twitter timeline has gone awfully quiet with your comments.
* I’m a real man. I’ll admit it. I had tears of joy when Di Vaio scored his goal. A beautiful moment.
* Am I the only one who had goose bumps and chills when Nesta touched the ball for the first time? It’s real. We have Nesta.
* Alessandro Nesta. Legend. Best centre back in the MLS. Period.
* Impact fans, I will be starting a collection at the next home game to buy the GM of the Red Bulls a nice bottle of wine as a thank you for not signing Nesta.
* I still want to see Jesse Marsch deploy the 3-5-2 with Nesta, Matteo Ferrari and Nelson Rivas.
* I think Jeb Brovsky has been the unsung hero for the Impact this year. He rarely makes mistakes, he’s all heart and leaves it all out on the field. He does it all for only $33,750.00 a year. He does it for the love of the game.
* Donovan Ricketts better buy some really nice Christmas gifts for Nesta, Ferrari and Rivas. Their return means that he will keep his starting job.
* With the return of the big 3, many of Ricketts’ mistakes will be cleaned up. He needs to be more decisive on his charges towards the ball and he needs to stop juggling the ball. I guarantee that he leads the MLS in dropped balls/poor control.
* Yes, I’d still love to see Evan Bush get a few games to prove himself at the MLS level.
* Anyone else notice the improved set piece defence against the Red Bulls? That’s all Nesta.
* I don’t think that Nesta trusts Ricketts. Not yet anyways.
* To the fans and media members who have made gambling jokes about Di Vaio’s situation... SHAME ON YOU! I’m sure you wouldn’t like it if I came to your house and joked about the worst situation you’ve ever been through.
* Let’s get one thing straight: Di Vaio hasn’t been accused of match fixing. He isn’t a cheater. I really doubt that he’ll get an MLS ban.
* FELIPE IS BACK!!! Captain Vamos played an excellent game against the Red Bulls. Reminds me of how he played before his suspension.
* MLS linesmen really need to work on their positioning. They are continuously 5-10 yards away from the offside line. Unacceptable.
* The Impact have to play like they did in the second half at the beginning of the game. In the first half, there wasn’t enough movement in the last third of the field. Hard to accept a pass when you are flat footed and the defense is standing right beside you. Move around!
* I’m still hearing some people call Patrice Bernier the Andrea Pirlo of Quebec. Folks, this has to stop. I love PB but you can’t compare the two.
* Does that mean that Andrea Pirlo is the Patrice Bernier of Italy?
* Congratulations are in order to Joey Saputo and his staff for the first ever sell out at Saputo Stadium. Those who weren’t there missed out on a great game. You can redeem yourself by being there for the game against the Union.
Until next time, FORZA IMPACT!!