Greeting and salutations Soccer fans! Welcome to another edition of Gio's Random Thoughts. Every week, I wax poetic on everything Impact and MLS. Some good, some bad, some ugly, some poor attempts at comedy and just plain random stuff that my brain fires off... just for you (don't you feel all warm and fuzzy inside now?)
* What a horrible game. Before we go into what went wrong, let's look at the positives from this game.
* Hold on.
* I'm thinking.
* Ok I give up.
* On the Around The League podcast last week, I mentioned that the Impact need a real, 90 minute dominant effort to prove that they can be contenders. They did the exact opposite against SKC.
* Last game that I saw this much domination was the Spain win over Italy in last year's Euros.
* The Impact were outplayed, outcoached, outeverything. Even their water boy filled up the bottles faster than our waterboy.
* Let's give Kansas City credit, they played a PERFECT game.
* These two weeks off will really help Coach Marco right a lot of wrongs. Let's hope that one of those sees Justin Mapp on the bench rather than on the field.
* I wonder if Karl W. Ouimette has stopped having nightmares of that KC attack.
* Felipe is not the same player he was last year. Not as dynamic. He needs to become a difference maker again.
* Captain Davy Arnaud has started complaining to the refs way too often. He did this last year. It's not good for team spirit. If he continues, this will impact his play... and his minutes.
* I'd like to see Blake Smith get a start on the right side of the midfield.
* With the injuries to Alessandro Nesta, Maxime Tissot (who is still unproven) and Dennis Iapichino, it exposes the lack of depth that the Impact have at defense. I believe that loaning out Zarek Valentin was a mistake. Hard to make a title run when 2/3 of your defensive depth are young, untested rookies.
* TFC's Robert Earnshaw is the luckiest forward in the MLS so far this season. He has 3 goals: 1 from a PK and the other two from awful, disgusting, I‘ve seen better back passes from U-6 house league teams . He has yet to impress.
* What was Carlo Cudicini thinking on that 35 yard run off the line? Did he really think he was going to make it to the ball before Earnshaw? It's the first thing they teach goalies on the first day of goalie school.
* Breaking news: LA Galaxy Bruce Arena is contemplating putting a 20 yard leash on his goalkeeper so that he never gets too far out of position.
* What a sexy goal by the Galaxy's Villareal in injury time. What a scissor kick. Just wow!
* Chivas are really starting to win me over. They are just playing some gorgeous Soccer. They make the MLS live package well worth it so far.
* Robbie Findley scored an amazing and very acrobatic goal against Seattle. All heart and hustle.
* Most disappointing team so far this season: Seattle Sounders
* Seattle hasn't been very good so far this season despite absolutely wonderful goalkeeping from Michael Gspurning.
* Dax McCarty's goal against the Union is proof that you should always try to put the ball on the net, you never know what can happen.
* Thierry Henry's first goal of the season was just pure class. First touch with the right foot, shot with the left leaving the goalie no chance. What a joy to watch.
* Colorado's Dillon Powers scored a SCREAMER of a goal against Portland. No goalie in the world would have had a chance on that shot.