USA TODAY Sports
Welcome to the latest installment of “Gio’s Random Thoughts” as the Montreal Impact start the season with a 1-0 win over the Seattle Sounders.
Welcome to the latest installment of "Gio's Random Thoughts". Every week, I will unleash some observations about what the Impact and the MLS. Some good, some bad, some ugly. Here we go:
* CONGRATULATIONS go out to Coach Marco, the players and the entire Impact organization on the first win of the season! Well deserved!
* TFC lost, water is wet, the sun came up this morning, grass is green... all is well in the world.
* Impact had a shaky first half defensively. To borrow a line from Frederic Lord, the Impact were lucky to ‘bend but not break'.
* Alessandro Nesta was not happy with his team's defensive efforts early on. He was letting them have it. Unconfirmed reports have him threatening players with a wooden spoon or a slipper.
* Is there an MLS record for offsides by a single player? If so, where can I place a $50 bet on Marco Di Vaio beating that record this season?
* Impact really need to work on their passing to Marco Di Vaio or his frustration level will start to show on the field very quickly.
* What a beautiful pass by Felipe on Davy Arnaud's goal. World class vision!
* Great decision to have Hassoun Camara start at right back. He's solid as a rock. On paper, the Impact have the most talented back line in the MLS. (Ever hear of the line.. Offense gets the glory but defense wins Championships... Am I foreshadowing? Maybe...)
* Camara was hurt (head) and had to leave the game early. Will Zarek Valentin be asked to join the team?
* How great is it to have Troy Perkins in net for a full year. Donovan who? De Santis is a genius.
* Troy Perkins needs to kiss and thank his goal posts for their spectacular performance. The posts made at least 3 HUGE saves.
* Justin Mapp is starting his old habits again. Late passes, turnovers. He has to improve quickly or he will lose his spot. One game doesn't make a season but too many fans are getting flashbacks to last season.
* Coach Marco showed that he is impatient with poor play by taking out Mapp at the start of the 2nd half. He's got guts. He's not afraid to use his bench.
* Aside from a couple of moments, Sanna Nyassi wasn't overly impressive.
* There may soon be an open competition for that LM spot. Time for players to go into overdrive in practice and take advantage of every minute of playing time they get.
* Andrea Pisanu had a great first game in the MLS. Very impressed.
* Dear Felipe, when you get hurt ‘in the zone', be a little more discreet. I know the game was shown late in Montreal but keep it rated E for Everyone. Thanks!
* The Seattle Sounders really need to hire a team barber. Some of their hairstyles are just awful. Stevie Wonder could do a better job.
* Calum Mallace was shaky in his first performance but the kid deserves a shot. Patience is needed.
* The Impact showed some great fight and spirit in a scary final 15 minutes of the game despite being constantly pressured by Seattle. They kept it together. That was a huge issue last year. Thank you Mr. Pacione.
* Very rare statement: I think the ref did a great job. Thank you Mr. Petrescu. You called a great game.
* Davy Arnaud showed great leadership and played a great game. Still very much deserving of the Captain's armband.
* I've been saying this since last year. Arnaud is more of a central midfielder. It also helps that he wasn't asked to play 3 different positions in a single game.
* There was an announced crowd of 7,000 fans at the Chivas game this week. Looked like 2,000. The situation is so bad that even the Chivas players' moms are refusing to go watch their sons play.
* Columbus laid the smack down on Chivas. Chivas may be the Western conference punching bag this year.
* Huge thanks to the LA Galaxy for destroying the Chicago Fire 4-0. Impact pick up 3 points that we ‘were never supposed to get' and the Fire start with a -4 differential. Could be huge at the end of the season in the standings!
* Portland held the Red Bulls to a 3-3 draw. Stunning result considering how awful last year's Timbers squad was. The Impact will have their hands full but hey... if we can march into Seattle and take 3 points... who says that we can't defeat the Timbers Army??
* Week one was a lot of fun. It's gonna be a great season folks... buckle up, it's going to be a fun ride!
Until next time,
Stay Awesome, Be Awesome and Go Impact The World!