WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 30: Marco Di Vaio #9 of the Montreal Impact controls the ball against Perry Kitchen #23 of D.C. United at RFK Stadium on June 30, 2012 in Washington, DC.(Photo by Ned Dishman/Getty Images)
Welcome to the latest installment of "Gio's Random Thoughts". Every week, I will unleash some observations about what the Impact and the MLS. Some good, some bad, some ugly.
* To my millions and millions (ok ok... more like hundreds!) of fans... did you miss me? I missed you! Why was I gone? It was simply a contract holdout situation. I've finally signed my long term deal with Mount Royal Soccer. Why the holdout? I get a free Happy Meal with every article I write. I wanted my trio to be super sized. Negotiations were tense. I held out, got what I wanted and now I'm back!
* Did anyone see that loss in DC coming? Some higher power did. He didn't even want our beloved Ultras to make it to the game so he broke down their bus and shipped them home. (Thankfully, everyone was ok and they made it to their favorite spot for game time).
* I feel for Calum Mallace. I really do. First MLS game, first competitive game in months, at a new position that he hasn't mastered yet, against the top team in the conference. Did anyone put some hot sauce on him before feeding him to the wolves?
* Felipe is amazing but sadly, he can't do it all on his own. He needs help.
* Ferrari, Rivas, Bernier, Corradi, Wenger - OUT; Mapp back from injury; Di Vaio not yet at 100% What did you really expect as a result? You are missing your core group of players. Too many changes, not enough practices.
* Yes, I drank the Kool Aid. I got cocky about my team. I thought we'd make the playoffs without a problem. I was drunk on success. Man... this hangover sucks but... both feet are now back on the ground. Cautious optimism the rest of the way.
More after the jump
* Attention Di Vaio haters... TAKE IT EASY!! Some are judging Montreal's new DP after only 2 halves in two games. He has to get up to speed with the team, he has to adapt to the MLS, he has to adapt to a new country and he is missing the regular roster of teammates. How's about we give him a few games?
* Sanna Nyassi looked like one pissed off firecracker against DC United, for all the wrong reasons. I've said it before, I'm saying it now, I'll keep on saying it... He's not a striker! He's much more useful as a winger or support forward.
* If Mike Fucito would have kept his mouth shut and practiced hard, he would have had a chance to start right now. Can't say I miss him though. He couldn't adapt to the team and used a ridiculous excuse to explain why.
* Eduardo Sebrango has started to receive limited minutes. Hasn't been very impressive. Team likely to keep him on for the rest of the year out of respect. Not MLS caliber.
* Evan Bush looked good despite allowing 3 goals. Let's be honest, with the overall team performance against DC United, Gigi Buffon wouldn't have done any better.
* So far, either the Saputo Stadium grass is cursed or just not ready but there seems to be a new player injured after every home game. Fans, before Wednesday's game, go to your local church (doesn't matter which religion) and asked the priest (or equivalent) to bless the field.
* Captain Davy Arnaud is worth every penny of his salary. The guy is a straight up warrior. Never gives up. All heart. Kudos to Marsch and his crew for giving him the armband.
* Haven't seen those awful orange keeper jerseys in a while. Let's keep it that way.
* Dear DC United keeper... Green uniform with pink gloves and pink shoes... fashion faux pas. Not very stylish.
* DC United Dwayne De Rosario was whistled at least twice for, I believe, an offside and still fired the ball into the net. No retaliation was done. Someone should have thought him a lesson. Bad sports etiquette.
* Call your mom, your dad, your aunt, your uncle, nonna, nonno, the plumber, your neighbor and your ex girlfriend or ex boyfriend. Here's the plan. It's party time. Wednesday night, Stade Saputo. How about selling out the place and cheering these guys on? They could use the boost. I'll even sweeten the deal. I'll tweet my seat location. If you come to my seats and mention Gio's Random Thoughts, you get a free hug. If you're a female and you're cute, you may even get a kiss (unless your boyfriend, husband or girlfriend is with you of course!). Just doing my part to boost ticket sales!
That's it. I hope you've enjoyed my comeback ‘Random Thoughts'. Hope I wasn't too rusty!
Until next time, FORZA IMPACT!!